Sunday, June 8, 2008

fanboiz

You're funny.

First of all, we should talk about any topic that we find "culturally relevant".....it shouldn't just be about music. That would be too limiting. Plus, I'd grow tired of reading your rants about experimental rock albums that you used to listen to during your frequent cocaine binges in college. Secondly, because I choose to say that I liked a film, rather than write a scathing critique to point out it's faults, doesn't necessarily make me a "fanboy".....jerk.

But, it does bring me to a few thoughts on the whole "fanboy" issue. I think you're still wrapped up in this whole "indie/hipster" mentality of being "too cool" to say you like something......and, more importantly, the things that you admit to liking are so far off the cultural map that most people will think that you're way too cool for them. For example: "Yeah, I like that album, but the one that came out years ago on that small label out of Portland was far superior." You guys crack me up. It's all about how you can culturally "out-reference" someone else. To see your kind together is even better because it's like you guys try to keep topping one another to see who is the most culturally deep in knowledge and taste. It's the classic record nerd thing to do.

Oh, and anything that you don't collectively find very cool........is lame. Hence, my admiration for Vincent Gallo. (I can just hear the saliva drops hit your keyboard as I start into this......this is the one you've been waiting for! ) Or even Morrissey. Yes, it's true. Both of these artists have a cult-like following, that I belong to whole-heartedly, and you guys just don't get it. Why is that? I think because it's cooler to be "cool". To try to act as if you don't care, but secretly at home....you guys are some of the biggest fanboys out there. I mean, you ARE a huge Zep, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Art-rock fag. Speaking of art rock, you and Gallo would get along great with both of your admiration for Yes.

I think it's very American to be overly critical of something.....even something that you actually liked. It's kinda a "hater" move. It's like wishing your friend's rival band doesn't succeed. It's commonplace to act in this fashion because everyone has their own damn opinion about something. Hell, that's what the whole idea is behind this silly blog, right? To entertain ourselves with our own silly perspectives. Listen, I do believe that it's healthy to have some positive critique on everything, but if you liked it....don't be a hater. Be a congratulator. PTA made a damn good movie. Give a bro some props.

Now, I gotta go grab Harry some doughnuts..........

No comments: